How Much Does A Trip To Mauritius Cost?
Beach is probably the most famous form of vacation to almost everyone, except of course if you have a fear of open seas.
Most often than not, if you have a few days off at work, you do not have much to do at home and you have saved enough money for travel, you would probably go “beaching’” any chance you get.
And while Southeast Asia may be on top of your mind when it comes to your ideal beach paradise, you might probably be halted by the weather as tropical countries tend to have a rainy season or even stormy at worse and the timing of your vacation might be off.
One really nice place to go is Mauritius which was touted as the best African tour you could ever get.
And how much more generous can we get? Under this article, we would also be tackling about how much does a trip to Maldives cost and we will give you some information about Maldives vacation packages and where to get them so sit back and relax because we have already done the research for you.
Average Cost of Mauritius Trip
When traveling, the most common question that comes to mind especially with a limited budget is how much money you would need for the entire Mauritius trip cost. Although there would be no definite answer to this and would depend on how do you want to spend your time there, the following approximate figures would more or less give you an idea of what to expect of the prices once you get to Mauritian soil especially if you travel as a backpacker:
- Budget hotel double room – $47.60 to $89.25
- Street food or self-catering for lunch – $5.95
- Dinner in mid-range restaurant – $23.80
- Midrange hotel double room with half-board – $95.20 to $178.50
- Lunch in mid-range restaurants – $29.75
- Car rental per day – from $47.60
- Occasional excursions – $59.50 to $119.00
- Luxury hotel double room with half-board – $178.50
- Lunch in top-end restaurant – $59.50
- All-day taxi excursions – $59.50 to $119.00
- Catamaran excursions – $59.50
Some of the recommended tourist sites at Mauritius are the following:
- Mauritius Botanical Garden – $9
- The Sugar Museum And Factory – $10.50
- Mauritius Water Park – $14.50
- Glass Bottom Boat To Blue Bay Marine Park – $20
- Mauritius shopping tour – $22
If you want to roam around, try some of their foods and other basic refreshments, these are what you need to budget:
- Meal at inexpensive restaurant – $8
- Three-course meal for 2 at mid-range restaurant – $31
- Combo Meal at McDonald’s or other fast food – $5
- Domestic Beer (0.5-liter draught) – $1.70
- Cappuccino (regular) – $1.80
- Coke/Pepsi (0.33 liter bottle) – $0.80
- Water (0.33 liter bottle) – $0.70
Moving around to get to places via different transportation are the following:
- Taxi for a whole day tour – $39 to $65.50
- Bus – $0.40 for short trips up to a maximum of $0.80 for longer runs.
- Helicopter tours –
- full one-hour island tour – $672 for up to four passengers
- a quick 15-minute – $262
But if you want a travel that is planned and organized, here are some of Mauritius tour packages and their corresponding prices:
- Mauritius Escape incl. Airfare (10 days) – starts from US$ 2,299
Price includes round-trip airfare from North America including all taxes with Air Canada and Air Mauritius (ex Toronto) or Emirates Airways (ex New York), airport to resort transfers, seven nights’ accommodation in a choice of resorts with daily breakfast.
Mauritius and Seychelles combo tour packages and prices that include four nights’ accommodation in Seychelles and four nights’ accommodation in Mauritius which are both inclusive of breakfast and dinner; airport welcome; and round trip airport transfers are the following:
- Mauritius & Seychelles Escape – Deluxe (11 days) – starts from US$ 1,984
- Mauritius & Seychelles Escape (11 days) – starts from US$ 1,697
Another beach haven worth visiting even once in your life is Maldives which is a south Asian nation off the southwest coast of India and Sri Lanka in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
Maldives has become a favorite beach destination among Hollywood celebrities not only because of the breathtaking scenery but also due to the privacy it offers to individuals who do not want to be disturbed during their private escapades.
Some of the Maldives vacation package are the following:
- Maldives Escape including Airfare (11 days) – starts at US$ 2,979
Price includes round trip airfare from North America with Emirate’s via Dubai, airline taxes, inter-island transfers from Male to Resort, seven nights’ accommodation as specified, meal plan based on hotel
- Dubai & Maldives escape (11 days) – starts at US$ 2,407
Price includes two nights’ accommodation in Dubai, dune dinner in Dubai, seven nights’ accommodation in Maldives, airport welcome, and airport transfers
- Romantic Paris & Maldives incl. Airfare – starts from US$ 4,189
Price includes roundtrip airfare from New York ($US), Los Angeles ($US) or Toronto ($CA) with Air France, roundtrip airport transfers with meet & greet in Paris, three nights hotel accommodation in Paris at Victor Hugo Hotel (Double Room), Paris sightseeing tour, round-trip speedboat transfers in the Maldives, seven nights’ accommodation Bandos Resort Maldives (Deluxe Room), and daily breakfast.
The following Maldives tour packages are inclusive of round trip airport transfers, seven nights’ accommodation, meet and greet service at the airport, and meals as indicated:
- Magnificent Maldives Escape (9 days) – starts from US$ 1,679
- Anantara Dhigu Resort (8 days) – starts from US$ 2,446
- Anantara Veli Resort & Spa (8 days) – starts from US$ 2,209
- Centara Grand Island Resort & Spa (8 days) – starts from US$ 2,811
- Centara Ras Fushi Resort & Spa (8 days) – starts from US$ 2,286
- Conrad Maldives Rangali Island (8 days) – starts from US$ 2,748
- Kuredu Island Resort (8 days) – starts from US$ 1,732
- Lily Beach Resort & Spa (8 days) – starts from US$ 3,120
- LUX South Ari Atoll (8 days) – starts at US$ 1,824
- One&Only Reethi Rah (8 days) – starts from US$ 5,751
- Veligandu Island Resort & Spa (8 days) – starts from US$ 2,240
Unlike other places in the world, tipping is not generally practiced in Mauritius and tourists are not really expected to give. Although some resort hotels would welcome gratuities but they prefer that you contribute to their tips box that the staff can divide equally rather tipping them individually. While some high-end establishments such as hotels and restaurants would add 10% to 15% service charges on your bill but that is not always the case.
Mauritius 11-day tours and Maldives 8 and 9-day tours do not include the following and therefore, you should set aside a budget for them if the need arises:
- International and domestic airfare & airfare taxes
- Items of a personal nature
- Meals and beverages not mentioned
- Travel insurance
- Visa fees if applicable
For Mauritius and Maldives tour packages that are inclusive of airfares, prepare to pay for the following additional costs like travel insurance, items of a personal nature, and drinks. These can also have limited seats or subject to availability. You may also opt to upgrade the package to enjoy all-inclusive tour experience at an extra cost.
Shopping for Mauritius Trip
For more details on the Mauritius and Maldives tour packages, check out GoWay.com.
To fully enjoy your vacation especially on the beach, prepare to bring the basics:
- swim suits
- swimwear cover-ups
- beach shirts or tops
- beach shorts
Factors Affecting Mauritius Trip Cost
Expect your travel expenditures to vary depending on the following:
- Where you are departing from
- Choice of tour package
- The travel agency
- Whether backpacker or organized tour
- The season
- Choice of destination
- How long are you staying
- The best way to get to Mauritius from the United States is to go through Dubai instead of Paris because you might eliminate a few inconveniences that a stop in Paris entails plus the fact that the Dubai airport is one of the most comfortable places to spend a long layover.
- The best time to visit Mauritius is summer which is around November to May depending if you prefer sunny weather and would want to enjoy the beaches at their best. Otherwise, go during the winter if you prefer to enjoy water sport like kite surfing or parasailing.