How Much Does Dollar General Franchise Cost?
Who doesn’t love a bargain? As consumers try to save money, companies make it easier for them by establishing dollar stores. One of such is the Dollar General.
Dollar General is a popular American variety store that sells shop items at affordable prices. The brand has a strong presence in the US. In fact, it boasts about 12,500 stores in 43 states.
Because of its popularity, you might want to own one of the company’s store, right? Well, is there an exact answer on how much does a Dollar General franchise cost?
Average Dollar General Franchise Cost
You might have thought of acquiring a Dollar General store, but is it possible? Apparently, you can’t own a franchise. That’s because all the stores under the brand are company-operated.
Nevertheless, you can be a shareholder. According to the site, Wells Fargo Shareowner Services acts as the transfer agent for shares of Dollar General stock.
Furthermore, you can use the company’s website to calculate your investment (provided that you’re already a shareholder). You may not know the Dollar General franchise cost, but you’re sure to get results regarding stock investments.
How To Buy Dollar General Stock
You can contact Wells Fargo Shareowner Services as they are the company’s transfer agent. Inquiries about stock transfers, lost certificates, or address changes should be directed to them.
Once you own a stock, you can get up-to-date information by allowing the company to send you e-mail alerts. Some of them include:
- Press releases
- SEC filings
- Events and presentations
- Closing stock price
- Weekly stock summary
- Stock threshold alert
- Percent change alert
You can also receive printed annual reports by postal mail. You need only to fill out the online form provided on the company’s website.
Dollar General’s transfer agent, Wells Fargo, also sponsors and administers a direct purchase plan so you can acquire shares. It’s called the Shareowner Service Plus PlanSM which you can apply for through the agent’s website.
Through the said website, you can access a detailed information of the purchase plan. You will also obtain a copy of the prospectus and enrollment forms.
A Closer Look At Dollar General
Do you want an idea about the Dollar General franchise startup fee? Well, since the corporation is not yet open for franchising, you will not get a figure about that.
However, if you want to be a shareholder, you need to know some things about the company. By doing so, you will be able to determine if Dollar General is a good investment.
- What is the pricing of a Dollar General store?
- Though it’s one of those so-called “dollar stores”, Dollar General only had 10% of the store’s items priced at $1 and below. Their highest price, though, is only about $60.
- What are the items you can find in a Dollar General store?
- Simply put, everything that is necessary. A Dollar General store sells food, snacks, health and beauty aids, cleaning supplies, family apparel, housewares, and seasonal items.
The availability of a certain item depends on the neighborhood. The company plans a merchandise assortment that matches with the needs of customers in a particular location.
- What brands do Dollar General stores cater?
- Depending on the merchandise assortment plan, a Dollar General store may have the following brands:
- Procter & Gamble
- General Mills
Dollar General also sells private brands. According to the company, the said products are both national-brand-equivalent and affordable. Also, all private-label items carry a 100% satisfaction guarantee.
The company doesn’t charge any Dollar General franchise startup fee. However, it accepts referrals for a new store location. Feel free to contact the company online if you find a place in your neighborhood where you think a variety store is necessary. All you have to do is select your state and communicate with the field representative in the area.
Dollar General Online Prices
We can’t include the Dollar General franchise startup fee in this article. Nevertheless, we can give you an idea of how affordable the store’s merchandise are. Here are some prices of items from the company’s website:
- Cleaning supplies
- LA’s Awesome Cleaner (20 oz.): $1
- Clorox Disinfecting wipes (fresh scent, 75 Ct): $4.85
- Mean Green Super Strength Commercial Cleanser (1 gallon): $5
- Health supplies
- Rexall Non-Stick Pads (10 Ct): $2.65
- Bayer Aspirin Pain Reliever/Fever Reducer (325 Mg): $3.25
- Xyzal Allergy 24 Hour Tablets (5 mg): $18
- Axe Dark Temptation Bodyspray (4 oz.): $4.95
- Yardley of London Moisturizing Bars English Lavender (4.0 Ea): $1
- Always Maxi Size 2 (unscented, 32 pads): $5.65
- Hair Care
- TRESemme Anti-Breakage Conditioner: $4
- Suave Pro Natural Shampoo Rosemary and Mint (12.6 oz.): $2.25
- Freeze It Fast Drying Aerosol Hairspray (8.75 oz.): $4
- Kitchen Appliances
- Toastmaster Griddle (10 X 19): $30
- Steam Iron: $18
- Two-Slice Toaster: $10
- Bobbie Brooks Yummy Ruched Maxi Dress (small): $12.50
- Hanes Men’s Pocket T-Shirt (light steel): $6
- Men’s Cap Chevy: $8.50
- Home Improvement Supplies
- DG Hardware Duct Tape (40 yards): $3.50
- As Seen On TV Flex Seal Brite (14 oz.): $13
- 3M Command Picture Hanging Strips: $1.85
Other Dollar Variety Stores
If you really want a franchise, there are other variety stores similar to Dollar General. Some of these companies include:
- Liberty Dollar
- Dollar Store
The franchise fee for a dollar variety store ranges from $20,000 to $30,000. The required liquid capital, on the other hand, may run around $20,000 to $50,000. Lastly, royalty fees and advertising costs have varying prices depending on the franchise.
To know more about specific prices, visit the store of your choice. Just see to it that the company is open for franchising.
No matter what company you choose, a dollar store will surely be a hit in the neighborhood. Not only are the products affordable, but you as the owner won’t have a hard time selecting what to sell. After all, your merchandise will depend on the preferences and requests of your customers. Additionally, as they are the one who requested the items, you’ll never run out of buyers!