How Much Does It Cost To Get a US Passport?

Going somewhere out of the country? Well, you need a passport to do that! If you already have one, you have to make sure it’s still valid once you travel.

The US Department of State has the authority to grant and issue your passport. They also regulate the fees you need to pay so you can acquire the said travel document.

That said, just how much does it cost to get a US Passport?

Average Cost Of US Passport

You will have to pay as much as $135 for a US passport. That is considering you’re applying for a first-time adult passport book.

The average cost of the US passport will change if you’re applying for:

  • A passport renewal
  • A passport for a minor applicant
  • A passport under the expedited process

Aside from the application fee, you’ll also have to pay an acceptance fee.

List Of Fees

The Department of State has an online list that will give you an idea of US passport prices. The costs for applying under different categories include:

  • For first-time adult applicants
  • Adult passport book: $110 + $25 acceptance fee = $135
  • Adult passport card: $30 + $25 acceptance fee = $55
  • Adult passport book and card: $140 + $25 acceptance fee = $165
  • For minor applicants
  • Minor passport book: $80 + $25 acceptance fee = $105
  • Minor passport card: $15 + $25 acceptance fee = $40
  • Minor passport book and card: $95 + $25 acceptance fee = $120
  • For passport renewals (16 years and up)
  • Adult passport book: $110
  • Adult passport card: $30
  • Adult passport book and card: $140

Note that the passport card is only valid for land and sea travel to the following locations:

  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • Bermuda
  • The Caribbean

Additional Fees

The US passport prices will increase if it’s necessary for you to avail of other services. Other fees charged by the Department of State include:

  • Expedite fee ($60)
  • This fee provides faster processing than the department’s routine service.
  • Overnight delivery ($15.45)
  • This fee is valid only for passport books and only applies to mailing addresses within the United States.
  • File search fee ($150)
  • This is necessary if you are unable to present an evidence of US citizenship or verification of a previously issued US passport or consular report of birth abroad.

To further confirm how much you will pay for your passport, check the department’s fee calculator.

Payment Methods

Aside from knowing the prices, you should know how to pay for the fees. There are different payment methods depending on your application type.

For instance, applying at a passport acceptance facility will require you to pay through the following methods:

  • Checks and money orders payable to “US Department of State” (for application and additional services fees)
  • Money orders, personal checks and cash, and credit cards (for the $25 execution fee)

If you are applying by mail, the following methods apply:

  • Checks and money orders payable to “US Department of State” (for renewal and additional services fees)

Applying at a passport agency, on the other hand, will require you to pay all fees through:

  • Credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover)
  • Debit cards displaying the Visa or MasterCard logo
  • Checks (personal, certified, cashiers, travelers) payable to “US Department of State”
  • Money orders (US Postal, international, currency exchanges) payable to “US Department of State”
  • Pre-paid credit card displaying the Visa or MasterCard logo

To avoid any hassle, verify the accepted payment methods before you proceed with your application.

Processing Time

If there are no problems with your application, the next thing you’ll do is wait for the processing to finish. The department will eventually mail to you your passport.

That said, how long will you have to wait?

If you opt for a routine service, the processing time will last for 4 to 6 weeks. This option is for those who do not have a specific target date for acquiring a passport.

An expedited service, on the other hand, has a processing time of 3 to 4 weeks. Applicants pick this option if they need a passport within a specific period of time.

Private Expediting Services

Do you think 4 weeks of waiting is too long? Well, you can further shorten the processing time by the help of companies that offer expediting services.

Companies that offer such services can get you a passport as fast as within 24 hours. The price, of course, is higher. Aside from government fees, you’ll have to pay a certain amount charged by the courier itself. You should send the payment online directly to the expeditor service.

Where To Apply

Now that you have an idea of how much does it cost to get a US passport, what’s next?

Well, you should know where you can apply for your passport book. According to the US Department of state, where you should go depends on when you need the said travel document.

If you need the passport now, for instance, you need to contact the department for emergency service. It is applied to life or death emergencies that require you to travel outside the country within 3 days.

What if you need a passport within less than 3 weeks? If that’s the case, you have to make an appointment at a passport agency or center.

For those who need a passport within less than or more than 6 to 8 weeks, you may apply at an acceptance facility. You can also renew by mail.

How To Apply

The department provides an application form online. You will fill out the one that matches with the passport you need.

For instance:

  • A DS-11 form is for applicants who are:
  • Applying for the first time
  • Children under 16 who are applying or renewing
  • Applicants 16-17 years who are applying
  • Anyone not eligible for Form DS-82
  • A DS-82 form is used by applicants renewing their adult passports
  • A DS-5504 form is for applicants who plan to:
  • Change a name within a year
  • Correct a passport error
  • Replace a limited validity passport within one or two years

After deciding what form to fill out, you should complete the requirements including:

  • Citizenship evidence
  • Identification
  • Proof of relationship (for children under 16)
  • A 2” by 2” color passport photo

Once you’ve completed everything, submit your form and requirements at an acceptance facility, a passport agency, or by mail, whichever is applicable.

Leave a Comment