How Much Does Car Alarm Installation Cost?
Gone are the days when you can go to sleep peacefully without worrying about someone barging at your home in the middle of the night or you can leave the house without locking the doors. When you can park your cars anywhere, not worrying whether it would still be there or not after a few minutes trip to the grocery.
The world has become a generally unsafe place to live in and we suppose things are not going to be back the way it used to be. Not anytime soon, at least.
What we could just do is to take precautions hoping they are enough to protect us and our loved ones, as well as our properties and belongings. A good way to start off is with car alarms.
But during these times when alarm sirens are just a nuisance and in addition to the growing number of noise pollutants to many people who are just more concerned about where the hell the owner is and when would the damned alarm is going to shut off rather than actually getting alerted to the possibility of having intruders around, getting an alarm system for your vehicle may not be an exciting chore. But you have to do it anyway.
With that in mind, how much does car alarm installation cost?
Average Cost of Car Alarm Installation
The average car alarm system installation cost ranges from $30 to $300 for the type that has basic functions only, typically a siren sound connected or attached to a wiring system. But cost can be up to $500 for complex system and depend on how difficult it is to access the inside of the dash of your car.
On the other hand, the advanced system car alarm installation prices can range anywhere between $400 and $1,300.
Amazon Home Services showed installation costs of customer-supplied alarm system ranging from $90 to $100 when the zip code 90210 was inputted. The service includes the installation itself; the removal of the dash if needed and the wiring of the alarm; the inspection of the car doors to ensure car triggers; as well as the operational instruction.
Here are some the best aftermarket car alarm systems and their price excluding installation cost according to Safewise.com:
- Viper SmartStart VSS5X10 Remote Start + Security System – $275
- Viper Color OLED 2-Way Security + Remote Start System – $305
- Viper Value 1-Way Security + Remote Start System – $40
- Python SmartStart – $150
- Python 2-Way Security and Remote Start System – $195
- Avital 2-Way LCD Remote Start With Security 5303L – $105
- CrimeStopper Universal 2-Way LCD Security and Keyless Entry System SP-302 – $77
- Pyle LCD 2-Way Remote Start Security System w/ Advanced Impact Sensor –$110
- SCYTEC MobiLink 777 2-Way Car Alarm Vehicle Security System With Smartphone Integration – $240
- Excalibur AL-2050-EDPB 2-Way Car Security and Remote Start System – $260
What are Included
Alarm systems provide protection in and out of the vehicle against intrusions and theft when installed as they will emit a loud sound to call the attention of either the owner or the people within the vicinity.
The basic car alarm consists of a sensor or sensors that are attached to a sound source, typically a siren. Most modern car alarms are equipped with on and off switches in different parts such as the trunk, doors, hoods, pressure sensors, among others. These alarms are also equipped with an extra battery so that it would still function even when the engine is off and the vehicle is parked; the time when it is most prone to burglars.
But not all alarms are packaged the same as they can be tailored to fit the needs of the car owner. Most of the package includes a module or the brain of the system; the Radio Frequency or the RF remote transmitters; the siren or sirens; the shock sensor; the LED or the light emitting Diode; and the valet or override switch.
Some of the additional costs you might consider in protecting your vehicle may include the following:
- Tinted Windows – $50 to $800
- Steering wheel locks – $15 to $90
- Hood Locks – $15 to $60
- Quick-Release Steering Wheel – $24.66 to $330
- Kill Switch System – $20.99 to $99
- Etch VIN Number on Car Windows & Valuable Parts – DIY etching kits cost $20 while AAA offices offer the service at $30 for members and $40 for non-members. Auto dealers charge $200 or more.
- Install a Dash Cam – $35.99 to $169.99
Shopping for Car Alarm Installation
You may start your search for the car alarm installation by asking any referrals from your friends who might have their vehicles installed with alarm system and ask for their feedback if the service was worth it. It is also worth to check out retailers like Amazon and eBay for the service.
Otherwise, the Viper.com might be the best alternative. Just select your car’s make, model and year in the corresponding field. Then build your viper system, the communication, the type of the alarm system, then customize the features based on your preference then press “send to a dealer”. Expect to be contacted by their authorized dealer or representative within 24 hours to discuss the cost estimate and other details.
Factors Affecting Car Alarm Installation
The average car alarm system installation cost can be easily determined by comparing the prevailing prices among installers around the country. But what drives the difference between the prices are the following:
- The cost of the alarm system – your choice of your alarm system or what is necessary depending on your vehicle type determines what you should pay for the cost.
- The complexity of the system – we all agree that the purpose of the alarm system is basic; to protect our vehicles as well as our belongings inside them. But we would definitely have to pay more for every added feature and convenience it brings us.
- Ease of access – installing the alarm system can be a pretty straightforward task. What causes the increase in the labor charge depends on how intricate your vehicle parts are that can affect the access in the wiring system.
- Labor charge – your mechanic’s rate is also critical in the overall costing of the car alarm installation as some have an advanced level of expertise than others due to vast experience in the field.
- The auto shop – rate of auto shops differ depending on how well-known they are that can be mostly attributed to the good quality of service and the high number of satisfied customers.
- Location – the car alarm installation prices vary per area due to the difference in the cost of living and cost of doing business in a particular location.
The installation of the alarm system as well as other anti-theft devices may not only protect you from any untoward incidents like burglary and vehicle theft but can also save you some cost in the case of your car insurance premiums. As reported, most insurance companies are willing to give around 5% to 30% discount for the added security feature in the vehicle depending on which insurance company. Now, consider that hitting two birds with one stone.