How Much Does Boston Terriers Cost?
If you see a dog which looks so formal as if ready to attend a wedding ceremony either as a groom or as the best man, you may have just spotted a Boston Terrier.
A Boston terrier is one of those breeds that are originally coming from the United States. They are small, smooth-coated dogs with normally erect ears and they come in shades of usually black and white, the distribution of which are similar to those infamous men’s formal wear tuxedo, although the rich brown and brindle shades are also common.
They are one of the most ideal pets among all breeds of dogs as they are known to be gentle, well-mannered, intelligent, alert, enthusiastic, and playful. They can be very lovable and endearing as they tend to be very affectionate but can also be possessive at times so training them at a young age may well be beneficial so they would not grow up to be stubborn later on.
Are you already excited to own a Boston Terrier? First, let us discuss the cost to own one.
Average Cost of Boston Terriers
The average Boston Terrier puppies prices can vary significantly depending on a lot of factors. A typical well-bred “purebred” can be purchased anywhere between $1,000 and $2,000 depending on the breed. The very rare breeds can cost around $3,000 to $4,000. But those not-so-good breeds can be purchased as low as $600 to less than a thousand dollars.
There are also those you can acquire from shelters and rescue agencies ranging between $35 and $500 depending on the age, condition, location or the organization itself.
What are Included in the Boston Terrier Puppies Prices
When buying from a legitimate breeder, the Boston Terriers cost would typically include a written contract that usually indicates a health guarantee and up-to-date vaccinations depending on the age of the dog.
It would also provide all the necessary paper works including registration and certification of the veterinary examination for the buyer’s protection.
Unless you live near a breeder, you will need to pay for the shipping cost depending on how far the breeder lives from your place. Typical shipping cost via air is around $200 to $400.
It is also worth taking into consideration some cost you need to spend on either regularly from the moment you brought home your new pet or from time to time like the following:
- Food – around $10 to $17 per month
- Veterinary visits – around $70 for the initial visit, $27 for the following routine check-ups
- Cage or crate – $50 to $100 depending on size
- Training – around $110 to $140
- Dog sitting or dog boarding – $15 to $50 per day
- Dog walker – around $280 per month
- Dog insurance – $225 per year
- Collar, leash, and tag – $140
- Teeth cleaning – around $15 per month
- Grooming – around $11 per month
Shopping for Boston Terriers
Factors Affecting Boston Terriers Cost
- Breed – the Boston Terrier puppies prices mainly depend on whether you purchased a pure breed or not as some have already been cross-bred with other of lower kind and value.
- Where purchased – the cost is higher when purchased from legitimate breeders because you are also paying for the quality, complete with all paper works and vaccinations.
- Age – older Terriers tend to be more expensive than puppies when they have already completed all their vaccinations and other related costs while the dogs are still in their care.
- Location – you can purchase cheaper Boston Terriers in locations where there are prevalent breeders. Also, shipping cost would not be a factor as all you need is to meet up with the seller to get your new pet.
Qualities of Boston Terriers
If you are wondering what are the qualities of the Boston Terriers that make them an ideal pet, below are what you should know about these adorable canines:
- Personality – They are a lot friendlier than most dogs. They are bright, amusing, and adaptable.
- Energy Level – They are playful and enjoy brisk walks a lot. They are very curious and lively.
- Are they friendly with children? – Yes, they are active and playful which make them a good playmate to children.
- Are they good with other dogs – They must be supervised because they tend to be protective and somewhat possessive so they have the tendency to compete with other pets for attention.
- Do they shed often – not very often
- Do they need regular grooming – just occasionally
- How is it during training? – very trainable because they are eager to please
- How tall do they grow? – They tend to grow up to 15 to 17 inches
- How heavy do they weigh? – They usually weigh 12 to 25 pounds during adulthood
- Usual life expectancy – They live for about 11 to13 years.
- Are they noisy pets? – No, they are typically quiet pets.
- Boston Terriers are also known by their other names such as Boston Bull, Boston Bull Terrier, Boxwood, and American Gentlemen.
- They were ranked by the American Kennel Club in 2012 and 2013 as the 23rd most popular pure-breed in the United States.
- They are the result of cross-breeding between English Bulldog and Terrier according to history.
- Don’t be fooled by their pugnacious appearance as they are more of a lover than a fighter. They are very friendly to people and would prefer to sit on the couch rather than dig in the backyard making them a good choice as a companion for older people.
- They have the tendency to snore loudly due to their facial bone structure.
- They have the tendency to have cataracts even at a young age so be sure to check them before purchasing.
- If you plan to breed them, be ready for big spending as caesarean deliveries are common due to their square skull making it hard for the mother to deliver them normally.